The BalanceBelt is a smart, lightweight belt that enables people with severe or complete Bilateral Vestibular Loss to move freely again without the need for walking sticks or other walking aids.
A new, innovative treatment for patients with Bilateral Vestibular Hypofunction (BVL / BVH)
BVL/BVH patients typically struggle to maintain balance, especially when walking in the dark or on uneven surfaces. They also experience difficulties seeing clearly during head movements.
The balanceBelt significantly improves patients stability by giving haptic feedback based on body acceleration and angle. The brain interprets this haptic feedback as input for the balance system. Patients using the BalanceBelt subconsciously improve their balance even after just minutes of first use (!)
- Stable walking without the need for walking aids
- Ability to look around when walking
- Improved independence and social inclusion
- Reduced risk of falling
- Ability to walk in dusk or night
Supported by scientic research
Clinical trials have shown that the BalanceBelt can lead to a significant improvement in the quality of life for people suffering from severe Bilateral Vestibular Loss: Kingma, H., Felipe, L., Gerards, MC. et al. Vibrotactile feedback improves balance and mobility in patients with severe bilateral vestibular loss. Journal of Neurology 266, 19–26 (2019).
- 23 out of 31 patients reported an improvement in their Mobility and Balance Score (MBS) of between 60% and 200%.
- The average Mobility and Balance Score increased from 4.2 to 7.9.
- 5 patients started using their bikes again.